🥁Whiplash (Damien Chazelle)

 

🥁Whiplash (Damien Chazelle)

Genre : Drama
Fiction/Non-Fiction : Fiction
Rating: 5/5 Stars (⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐)



🤔 What It's About

About a drummer named Andrew Nieman who goes to Shaffer Academy (one of the best jazz school's) is desperate to impress a bandleader named Terrence Fletcher. Fletchers seems to be very abusive and strict and pushes his players till they physically injure themselves. Andrews life falls apart because of Fletcher, the movie is about Andrew overcoming this and being the drummer that Fletcher was looking for but cannot own.

🔍 How I Discovered It

My friend recommended it to me, and a YouTuber that I follow Charles Cornell who makes Jazz videos reviewed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFYBVGdB7MU


🧠 Thoughts

What I Liked About It

  • I liked the music and the connection between the art and the dicipline
  • It was really tense and dramatic for such a passive topic

What I Didn't Like About It

  • It was a bit slow at times almost documentary like.
  • Would've like a better ending or even a preface

🥰 Who Would Like It?

Musicians, people who want to watch a dramatic movie that still seems grounded. Its a very niche topic and was executed very well.

💬Some quotes:

"There are no 2 words more harmful in the English language more harmful than good job" - Terrence Fletcher

"I was there to push people beyond what's expected of them. I believe that's an absolute necessity." -Terrence Fletcher

Yours Truly, 

Rithvik Kadiresan ♥

 

Comments